Photo: John Smith

Recent Posts

Monday, March 15, 2010

Great weekend!

This weekend was great.  It was 70 degrees outside, sunny, beautiful, and I had all day long Saturday and Sunday to spend with Jainahorse.

I rode her both days, and it's becoming more and more apparent that I ride like a dressage rider and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Western cues.  I realize there are lots that are the same, but I hold too much contact on her.  I need lessons!  At my old ranch, I was using a training fork while riding and she kept her head/neck down nicely and felt great.  I had to give it back to its owner, so now I'm riding without the training fork and her head is up high and she feels so unrelaxed.

I don't like using training aids though.  Has anyone had any experience with a training fork?

I am going to start taking lessons very soon, I'm eager to get started and stop messing her up by hanging on her face.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

My horse was nosing out and my trainer said to do very light pulls - with my little finger - on each side - like a tickle to the reins. It's annoying (to a horse) and I would stop immediately when he dropped his head.

It's worked, but it takes a while. Every now and then when he does it again, I just start to tickle and he stops. You might give it a try...

Post a Comment